There are various industries that require transcription professionals to produce digitized documents for workflow operations to function smoothly. These digitized documents not only ensure smooth workflow of the operations but they also document each and every minute detail. Along with a few industries, the legal industry is one of them that require continuous documentation of their legal proceedings!
Legal transcription is the process of transcribing legal proceedings into digitized texts! It is a highly specialized process that requires skilled professionals to document legal proceedings. This process of legal transcription generally occurs during courtroom proceedings where only licensed court reporters carry out this process. Licensed court reporters use a specific type of device known as stenotype to carry out legal transcription which is why they are also known as stenographers. The stenotype along with a computer enables the transcriptionist to perform legal transcription in real-time. With the help of stenotype, the court reporter is able to carry out the legal transcription initially in shorthand which is later converted by the computer into a more readable document.
This is essentially the crux of how legal transcription is carried out, however; today the industry of legal transcription does not only include documentation of the legal proceedings but its’ transcription has extended to include the following:
• Administrative hearings
• Client letters
• Legal briefs
• Legal pleadings
• Evidence letter
• Evidence arguments
• Official court hearings
The above-mentioned list is only inclusive and not limited to the wide array of services that encompass the legal transcription industry today!
How does the process of Legal Transcription work?
The process of legal transcription works like any other transcription service. The only difference is that within the legal industry, there may be video recordings instead of or along with the audio recordings. The rest of the process of legal transcription is pretty much the same and comprises of the following 3 steps:
• The licensed transcriptionist is provided with the voice or the audio recordings – They astutely listen to the recordings and review them.
• After astutely listening to the voice recordings and reviewing them for the first time, the legal transcriptionist then carries forward the transcription process and documents the recordings into digitized texts. At this stage, they have to ensure that each and every detail is correctly documented in the written format. This, however; is only half of the transcription process.
• After the recordings have been transcribed into the required written formats, the digitized texts are then further reviewed to ensure accuracy and correct any grammatical errors. Today, the legal transcription industry encompasses a wide array of documents. These documents could be a legal letter, briefs or official court hearings – Whatever is the case, it needs to be ensured that the final transcribed document is according to the required and standardized format. This last step is the rest of the transcription process and the most crucial part because it ensures that the final transcribed document is accurate and error-free.
After the final step of legal transcription has been carried out and the document is thoroughly reviewed for any inconsistencies, it is then sent back to the client in the required format. Now, how long it takes for any legal transcription process to occur? Well, that is typically dependent upon the project size and can range anywhere from 24 to 48 hours for a regular legal file to even 2 weeks if the project is large.
READ MORE: Do Lawyers Need Transcription Services?
What are some of the benefits of carrying out legal transcription?
• Any process within any industry is carried out with the hopes of the smooth functioning of the operations and that is one of the major benefits of carrying out legal transcription as well.
• The process of legal transcription, when carried out with focus and determination, ensures that the details are documented with the utmost accuracy for future references.
• Hiring a professional legal transcriptionist often saves time. Professional legal transcriptionists are able to quickly deliver the transcribed reports because they are skilled and experienced to work within the deadlines.
• Another major benefit of hiring professional legal transcriptionists to transcribe your legal reports is that you receive the benefit of customization. They work with a lot of clients and are open to customizing your reports according to either standardized or your required formats.
• Your legal reports are documented by professionals who not only have a strong command on the English language and its’ grammar but they are also at times experienced professional of the legal industry. They may have a background in the law which enables them to effectively and accurately carry out the transcription process.
• Usually, a legal transcription company prefers that the employees that they hire to carry out legal transcription process for their clients have a legal transcriptionist certificate. This is of great relief to most as it ensures that not only are the recordings being transcribed by a professional, but they are also handled by a licensed and a certified professional. They may or may not have a law background but it ensures that they will be able to effectively document every detail.
• By hiring a legal transcription company, you are hiring professional legal transcriptionists who are skilled and experienced in carrying out the transcription process of your recordings. This indirectly but very effectively increases your productivity. Hiring legal transcriptionists eliminates a major process from your administrative departments. If the legal transcription is carried out by professionals instead of the administrative department, you’re your administrators can concentrate on carrying out other administrative tasks which increases the efficiency of your operations.
The legal transcription industry is one of the industries within the legal industry that encompass a wide range of services. It is very often regarded as an allied industry that helps the clients to streamline the processes. Though this was only a cross-sectional view, we hoped it gave you an informative introduction into the legal transcription industry!